Dulas Castle, which is also known as Cwn-y-Saeson or Cefn Llech Castle, was built to control an east/west pass between the Craig Cefn-Llech and Craig Gellidywyll mountain ranges. This pass probably served as a portage route between the Rivers Wye and Dulas. The fortification has not been securely dated with a wide range of options mooted: from the Iron Age to the medieval period. It was most likely the latter and was probably built by the Mortimer family during the thirteenth century. It may well have been the (unlocated) castle of Gwerthrynion mentioned in a document dated 1202.
The castle was an earth and timber ringwork fortification. It was built on the floodplains of the River Dulas at the point where the waterway forked into two paths which provided strong natural protection on the north, east and south sides of the fortification. The western side was defended by a ditch, the spoil from which was used to create a counterscarp bank. The entrance into the fortification was from the west. It is not known when the castle went out of use.
Douglas, D.C and Greeaway, G.W (ed) (1981). English Historical Documents Vol 2 (1042-1189). Routledge, London.
Kennedy, A.E (2000). Cefn Llech.
Higham, R and Barker, P (1992). Timber Castles. Batsford.
Hodges, G (1995). Owain Glyn Dwr and the War of Independence in the Welsh Borders. Logaston Press, London.
Howse, W.H (1949) Radnorshire. E.J.Thrston, Hereford.
Lloyd, J.E (1931). Owen Glendower (Owain Glyndwr). Llanerch Publishers, Felinfach.
Morgan, G (2008). Castles in Wales: A Handbook. Talybont.
Pettifer, A (2000). Welsh Castles: A Guide by Counties. Boydell Press, Woodbridge.
Remfry, P (2008). The Castles and History of Radnorshire. SCS Publishing.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (1913). Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales: County of Radnorshire.
Salter, M (2001). The Castles of Mid Wales. Malvern.
Dulas Castle consists of the low earthwork remains of a small ringwork fortification. The castle is on private land with no public access but the remains can be seen from the adjacent road. There is also a public right of way that runs to the north on the higher ground.
Dulas Castle. The castle was a small ringwork fortification and was originally surrounded by wet ditches.
Pass. The castle controlled a pass between Craig Cef-Llech and Craig Gellidywyll. The River Wye is located beyond the hills in the distance.
River Dulas. Modern drainage has reduced the size of the river considerably.
Dulas Castle was an earth and timber ringwork fortification built during the twelfth or thirteenth century. Also known as Cwn-y-Saeson or Cefn Llech Castle, it was probably raised by the Mortimer family to control a portage route between the Rivers Dulas and Wye. It is not clear how long the fortification remained in use.
Dulas Castle is located off an unnamed road which is accessed from the B4518 just to the north of Sychnant-fawr. The site is not sign-posted. On-road car parking is possible.
Car Parking Option