The remains of a motte but little else from the castle. It is situated within the Caer Beris Manor which is set within 27 acres of picturesque parkland accessible to patrons of the restaurant and/or hotel.
Caer Beris Manor Access
The castle is found within the Caer Beris Manor directly in front of the hotel/restaurant. The grounds are accessed from the A483 with a large sign pointing to the Manor (but not the castle). Car parking is available in immediate vicinity of the motte.
1. The name Builth was a corruption of the original Welshname - Buellt - which had derived from bu (meaning ox) and gellt (meaning pasture).
Possibly the first motte-and-bailey fortification built in the Lordship of Builth, Llanganten Castle (also known as Caer Beris Castle) was occupied for around 70 years. In that time its ownership was disputed with the church and it was attacked and burnt by Rhys ap Gruffudd, Lord Rhys.
HISTORY OF LLANGANTEN CASTLE
Llanganten Castle, also known as Caer Beris Castle after the modern name of the manor, was probably the first castle raised in the Builth Lordship by a Marcher Lord. Sited near the confluence of Rivers Irfon and Wye, it was constructed by Philip de Braose circa-1093 as an earth and timber motte-and-bailey fortification. Set on top of cliffs overlooking a loop in the River Irfon, which surrounded the site on three sides, the castle benefited from superb natural defences. But this was only part of Philip's intend for a castle which was ultimately built to command the nearby strategically important fording point across the River Wye - a major access route into central Wales - facilitating taxation and control of movement through the Lordship.
Llanganten was one of numerous fortifications raised by Philip in the 1090s within the Builth Lordship. He also raised ringwork castles at Llanlleonfell and Llysdinam plus motte-and-bailey structures at Builth and Treflys. He also constructed Radnor Castle.
Llanganten remained in use for around 70 years. Ownership was disputed with the church in the period 1098-1102 with Ansalm, Archbishop of Canterbury instructing Philip to return the site. There is no evidence it was ever returned and was certainly still held by the de Braose family in 1168 when the castle was attacked by Rhys ap Gruffudd, Lord Rhys. The castle was seemingly destroyed and was never rebuilt having been eclipsed in importance by nearby Builth Castle.