Notes: Situated in the small village of Clun. Limited signs but village is easy to find. Some on-road parking in immediate vicinity to castle entrance but pay and display facilities available nearby.
WHAT IS THERE TO SEE?
The remains of a late thirteenth century great tower set atop of a motte. There are also limited remains of the curtain wall and the area of one of the two baileys is still open ground with a few surviving earthworks.
1. The Great Tower was built for show; most evident by the fact some of the arrow loops were actually fake rather than usable.
A fortress of the Border Marches, Clun Castle had an active military role from the Norman Conquest through to the final significant Welsh rebellion in the fifteenth century. Transformed into luxury accommodation it was slighted by Parliament in 1646.
HISTORY OF CLUN CASTLE
Clun Castle is thought to have been built by Picot de Say in the years following the Norman invasion to dominate a former Saxon village and to help sustain Norman rule in the troublesome border area (known as the Marches). In this latter role it was well placed to control movement on the Clun-Clee Ridgeway, a historic trading route in and out of Wales. Constructed to a traditional motte and bailey design it started as an earthwork and timber castle and had two baileys.
As a border outpost Clun Castle inevitably suffered as the fortunes of the Welsh ebbed and flowed. It was attacked and burnt to ashes in 1196 by Prince Rhys of South Wales. Rebuilt or repaired it was attacked again in 1214 by Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth (Llywelyn the Great). It was these attacks that probably led to the rebuilding of the castle in stone and this prompted another attack, again by Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth, in 1234. In