Following the Norman Conquest Roger de Busli, a Norman Knight who hailed from Rouen and had fought at the Battle of Hastings (1066), was granted extensive lands across Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire. He established his caput at Tickhill Castle but also built numerous other fortifications across his estates both to secure his newly acquired territory and to ensure their effective administration. Egmanton Castle was one of these new installations and was built overlooking a large Saxon settlement.
The castle's motte is 14 metres high and one of the best preserved examples in Nottinghamshire. It would originally have been topped by a timber palisade whilst the base of the motte was surrounded by a ditch. A small terrace cut into the top of the motte on the eastern side is probably indication of the original stair or gateway. To the immediate south-west of the motte was an oval shaped bailey which is now occupied by a farm. It was protected by an earth rampart, almost certainly augmented with a timber palisade, and a ditch.
The castle was granted to Nigellus de Albanci by Henry I and then later passed to Robert de Aiville. His descendants became the powerful Mowbray family and, due to their extensive properties elsewhere, Egmanton Castle was neglected. It was almost certainly out of use by the late thirteenth century when the Manor of Egmanton was being administered from Laxton Castle. Later in the medieval period a manor house was built within the bailey and this was replaced in the eighteenth century by a farmhouse.
Allcroft, A.H (1908). Earthwork of England. London.
Fry, P.S (1980). Castles of the British Isles. David and Charles.
Historic England (2017). Gaddick Hill, Listing Number 1009296. Historic England, London.
King, C.D.J (1983). Castellarium anglicanum: an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Kraus International Publications.
Pettifer, A (1995). English Castles, A guide by counties. Boydell Press, Woodbridge.
Salter, M (2002). The Castles of the East Midlands. Folly Publications, Malvern.
Wright, J (2008). Castles of Nottinghamshire. Nottinghamshire County Council, Nottingham.
Egmanton Castle is one of the best preserved mottes in Nottinghamshire. The mound is on private land but can be seen from the adjacent road and the grounds of St Mary's church.
Egmanton Castle. The castle's motte still stands 14 metres tall although has clearly suffered from some subsidence over the years. It is on private land with no public access but it can be seen from the grounds of the adjacent St Mary's church.
St Mary's Church. The church has fabric dating from the twelfth century so would have existed concurrently with the castle. Although extensively restored in the late nineteenth century, much of the structure seen today dates from the twelfth to fifteenth centuries.
Egmanton Castle, which is also known as Gaddick Hill, was a motte-and-bailey fortification built by Roger de Busli in the immediate aftermath of the Norman Conquest. Its purpose was to control and administer the adjacent Saxon settlement. The castle remained in use until the thirteenth century and thereafter was replaced by a manor house.
Egmanton Castle is located on private land with no public access. The remains can be seen (from a distance) from Tuxford Road and the grounds of St Mary's church. On-road car parking is possible directly outside of the church.
St Mary's Church / Car Parking
Egmanton Castle (No Access)