Little is known about Inkberrow Castle but it certainly existed no later than the late twelfth century and was also attested to in a charter dated 1216 which recorded wood being allocated for its repair. It is likely it was originally raised by John Marshal who obtained the manor circa-1174 from Robert Folliot, Bishop of Hereford. Probably only ever an earth and timber fortification, its precise location is unknown although the proximity of the 'current' moated site to the church suggests it might have been one and the same. The manor of Inkberrow passed from John to his brother - William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke - and thereafter to his son, also called William, and then grandson, Richard. The latter rebelled against Henry III in 1233 prompting Inkberrow Castle to be seized by the Crown and granted to Baldwin de Lisle. In October 1233 though the King ordered the Sheriff of Worcester to destroy Inkberrow Castle and thereafter it was never rebuilt. The manor of Inberrow was returned to the Marshal family in 1234.
At some point after the castle's destruction a manor house, protected by a rectangular moat, was built at Inkberrow. This was possibly raised by Gilbert Marshal after the estate was restored to him in 1234. Little remains visible of this facility and it awaits detailed archaeological investigation but it seems the manor was the hub of a larger farmstead and perhaps also had an administrative function serving the surrounding park. The moat was fed by a small stream which also filled a number of adjacent fishponds. These were an important food source, often associated with high status residences, with each pond hosting different types and ages of fish. Extensive agricultural activity also took place around the site whilst numerous other nearby moated sites - at Morton Underhill, Holberrow Green and Shurnock - all suggest Inkberrow ultimately became just one of many farmsteads around the area. It is not clear when the site went out of use.
Dalwood, H and Bryant, V (2005). The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey.
Douglas, D.C and Rothwell, H (ed) (1975). English Historical Documents Vol 3 (1189-1327). Routledge, London.
Historic England (2015). Moated site 150m north east of Inberrow church, List entry 1018543. Historic England, London.
King, C.D.J (1983). Castellarium anglicanum: an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Kraus International Publications.
Montgomerie (1924). Ancient Earthworks.
Salter, M (2000). The Castles of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Folly Publications.
Williams, A and Martin, G.H (2003). Domesday Book: A Complete Translation. Viking, London.
Inkberrow Castle has been completely obliterated by a later medieval moated site. The moat is well preserved but there are few visible traces of the internal buildings.
Inkberrow Moat. The remains consist of a medieval moat which surrounds a square island that once hosted a manor house. The proximity of St Peter's church makes it likely it was once the location of Inkberrow Castle.
Inkberrow Castle was originally an earth and timber Norman fortification built by the Marshal family in the late twelfth century. Little is known about the structure but it was destroyed during the rebellion of Richard Marshal, Earl of Pembroke. It was later replaced by the moated site seen today.
Inkberrow Castle, a moated manorial site, can be found on an unnamed road off Inkberrow High Street. Take the turning sign-posted to St Peter's Church. On-road car parking is possible near the church and castle site.
Car Parking / St Peter's Church