1. The terms of surrender on 16 August 1646 allowed the garrison to march away with Colours flying, drums beating and Trumpets sounding. Not so for the owner Henry, Earl of Worcester who was taken into custody. He died in prison in December that year.
Built for comfort and show rather then defence, Raglan Castle nevertheless saw action during the English Civil War when it was besieged for thirteen weeks by Parliamentary forces. Sustaining significant damage from mortar fire during that conflict, the castle is now a scenic ruin but its former grandeur is still evident to this day.
HISTORY OF RAGLAN CASTLE
Raglan Castle was built in the 1430s and, like equivalent late medieval fortifications, was constructed as much for show and style as defence. Possibly constructed over the site of an earlier motte-and-bailey castle, the current structure was built by William ap Thomas who was a prominent Welsh knight. It differs significantly from many castles in that the Great Keep is positioned to the exterior of the bailey rather than within the perimeter; this could have been a consequence of being constrained to the earlier earthworks of the existing fortification.
The castle functioned as a palace fortress for the next two hundred years but this came abruptly to an end when this most comfortable of homes came under siege during the Civil War. By the 1640s it was in the ownership of Henry, Earl of Worcester who was a staunch Royalist. Despite the defeat of the King's army at the Battle of Naseby (1645) he remained loyal and garrisoned Raglan castle with as many as 800 soldiers at his own expense. Earthwork breastworks were built in front the castle in preparation for siege.
The Parliamentarian army arrived in June 1646. Henry refused to surrender so the castle was surrounded and siege works were commenced in order to bring mortar batteries into range. The large garrison inside the castle caused problems for the attackers; in July at least one major skirmish took place as several hundred Royalists sallied out against them. But by August the siege works were in range and Henry sued for surrender formally handing the castle over on the 16 August 1646.