The footpath to the mound is accessed from the rear (east) of the car park. Follow the footpath to the left and you will see the remains (earthworks only) of the castle in the wood.
Notes: Located within the Haining Estate in central Selkirk. Public footpaths enable access to the motte and the surrounding area. There is a car park directly adjacent to the estate entrance.
SELKIRK CASTLE ACCESS
Built on top of a natural mound, Selkirk Castle was established no later than the early twelfth century. Little is known about the first structure but, following the outbreak of the first War of Scottish Independence, it was captured and rebuilt as Selkirk Peel by the English. It was seemingly destroyed or out of use by the mid-fourteenth century.
HISTORY OF SELKIRK CASTLE
The first reference to a castle at Selkirk dates from 1119 when it was referenced in the foundation charter for Selkirk Abbey. Built on top of a natural mound that was scarped for additional defence and overlooking Haining Loch, this initial structure would have been an earth-and-timber construction.
The Wars of Scottish Independence ignited in 1296 following Edward I's attempts to impose his will on the Scottish monarchy. Precisely what condition Selkirk Castle was in at this time is unknown but the site was occupied by the English in February 1301 who substantively rebuilt it. Under the direction of Sir Alexander de Balliol, Warden of The Forest of Cavers and Sir Robert Hastings, Sheriff of Roxburgh the structure raised was an earth and timber ring enclosure known as Selkirk Peel. It was taken by the Scots in 1302 but was recaptured by the forces of Edward II in 1311. Although no mention is specifically made in any records, the site must either have been abandoned by the English or fallen to Scottish forces once more before the decisive encounter at Bannockburn (1314).
It is possible the retreating English or advancing Scots completely destroyed the structure as a charter of 1334, formally ceding Southern Scotland and the Lothians to England, does not mention it. Certainly the castle played no further part in history but during the eighteenth century the site was incorporated into a landscaped garden for the adjacent Georgian Manor house (The Haining). It remains part of this estate to this day although there is public access to see the limited remains.