Halloughton Tower was one of a number of similar structures built in Nottinghamshire during the fourteenth century. Possibly constructed to provide protection from the lawlessness of nearby Sherwood Forest, it could equally have simply been a status symbol. It remains a private residence with no public access.
Halloughton Tower is a surviving segment from a larger manorial complex. The tower itself was raised in the mid fourteenth century by a canon of Southwell Minster and was one of a number of similar structures built at the same time (others included Linby Tower, Greasley Tower and Strelley Hall). However, the purpose of these towers is unclear. At first glance Halloughton was a defensive structure and could well have been built to provide insurance against the bands of thieves and outlaws that operated from nearby Sherwood Forest. Furthermore, Nottingham Castle was used on several occasions to muster men to fight in the wars with Scotland and it is possible the tower was built to protect the residents from raids. However, whilst the tower was a strong structure, there is no evidence of any defences surrounding the other manorial buildings and the tower may simply have been constructed to serve as a status symbol.
The tower is a three storey structure built from rubble with ashlar dressings. The ground floor was used for storage, the first floor was a living room and the level above a bed-chamber. None of the floors has heating. The tower was never intended to stand alone and would have been paired with an attached hall. The current structure, a timber framed house, was constructed between 1580 and 1630 to replace an earlier building. The tower and house still serve as a private residence.
Douglas, D.C and Rothwell, H (ed) (1975). English Historical Documents Vol 3 (1189-1327). Routledge, London.
Emery, A (1996). Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
Historic England (1952). Halloughton Manor Farm House, List entry 1178664. Historic England, London.
King, C.D.J (1983). Castellarium anglicanum: an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Kraus International Publications.
Salter, M (2002). Castles of the East Midlands. Folly Publications, Malvern.
Throsby, J (1892). Thorton's History of Nottinghamshire.
Halloughton Tower is a private residence with no public access but the exterior of the structure can be seen from the adjacent road.
Halloughton Tower. The tower was never intended to stand alone and would always have been paired with a timber framed hall. The latter was replaced in the late sixteenth/early seventeenth century by the current house. The sloped roof of the tower was a later addition as is evident by the use of brick. Note the fourteenth century arched window just above the attached modern buildings.
Attached House. The house seen today dates from between 1580 and 1630 and replaced the earlier hall. Originally timber framed, the house has now largely been rebuilt in brick.
St Mary's Church.