Only the west facade and a segment of the rear wall survive and this is all sited on privately owned land with no public access. Furthermore the remains have been partly buried as the river bank was raised to prevent flooding. The castle can be viewed at a distance from near the bridge over the Foss Dyke.
Car Parking Option
Notes: The castle remains are situated on the banks of the River Trent to the east of Torksey. There is no public access (and a sign reminding visitors of such!) but the ruins can be viewed from a distance just across the A156 from the car parking option shown above.
Torksey Castle was built in the sixteenth century by Sir Robert Jermyn. Despite the name, the structure was effectively a manor house with no defensive features. It was seized by Parliamentarians during the Civil War and then retaken and destroyed by Royalist forces.
HISTORY OF TORKSEY CASTLE
When the Romans moved into Lincolnshire in the early AD 60s, they constructed a Legionary fortress at nearby Lincoln and built a canal, the Foss Dyke, to connect it to the River Trent. The town of Torksey, known to the Romans as Tiovulfingacester, was founded at this intersection. This remained a site of some significance even after the Roman withdrawal and was possibly converted into a fortified Anglo-Saxon burh in the ninth century. Records suggest a temporary Viking camp was established there in AD 872 which implies the defences proved inadequate! By the time of the Norman invasion, Torksey was the third largest settlement in Lincolnshire, second only to Lincoln itself and Stamford. Two monasteries were built along with numerous churches. Yet, despite the significance of the area, there does not seem to have been any Norman era fortification built on the site.
The structure seen today, known as Torksey Castle, was a manor house built in the sixteenth century by Sir Robert Jermyn (1539-1614), a prominent English politician. The lower storey was constructed in stone and the upper levels in brick with ashlar dressing. Despite the name the castle was never built with substantive defensive features.
During the English Civil War, the Jermyn family were supporters of the Royalist cause. Lincolnshire was a divided county during the war fluctuating between Royalist and Parliamentary control but the decisive victory at Marston Moor (1644) led to the latter gaining the upper hand. The following year the property was seized by Parliamentarians. The site was then attacked by a Royalist force from Newark resulting in serious damage to the structure. The castle was returned to the Jermyns after the war but was never restored and fell into ruin. English Heritage stabilised the building in the 1990s but the ruins are not open to the public.